Monday, February 28, 2011

Funemployed!

So, my job at the music store is officially over.

"There is nothing on my horizon except everything. Everything is on my horizon." - Dwight K. Schrute

I finished helping pack up the store and we went to a corporate-sponsored goodbye dinner at one of the most expensive restaurants in town. It's a newer place that Alex and I would never be able to justify eating at had we been picking up the tab. The food was great, it was a nice outing with my sweetie and a great ending to a physically taxing day. I said my goodbyes to my co-workers and we came home.

I just kind of sighed.. 
It hasn't quite hit me that I'm unemployed, and not intending on getting another job for the forseeable future - I'm going to be a full-time wife and mom! This is so surreal! 

I'm the type of person to have to stay busy, to make plans for myself and create my own structure to the day to prevent myself from going stir-crazy. I really want to use this time to learn new things, take photos, write, play music, cook and enjoy myself while awaiting our baby girl. I have a feeling I'm going to bake a lot of fresh bread, write a lot of blog posts and do a lot of cleaning in the next couple months!


After Annabelle is born and we're all settled in and comfortable, I'm really excited about starting roller derby with the new league that's been forming since September here. If I had the gear and could somehow invent a Uterus Protection Apparatus (UPA) while skating, I'd start practicing now, though my balance is currently a little off to say the least. I'm really excited to have a goal in mind for myself after giving birth, especially something that will keep me active, healthy and social. I've wanted to play for years, and started training hard for fresh meat tryouts the month before I got pregnant. 

A Charm City Roller Girls May 20, 2007 bout poster stripped of its text by Nolen Strals.

I have these cute visions of Alex and my little girl cheering for me from side of the rink watching me zip around on skates having the time of my life. I'm so excited to get fit, get some skates and get going! It's probably better than I haven't invested in gear yet, as I don't know how my feet will change with the pregnancy if at all, along with the rest of me. As soon as I get my strength back, and a routine set up with baby Annabelle, I'm going to get back into my Couch to 5K running schedule that I deserted and a little bit of strength training on off days to get ready. 

My good friend Becky from back home just passed her WFTDA skill requirements the other day and is now an official Eve of the Eves of Destruction League in Victoria. I'm totally jealous, and so proud of her, I can't wait to play! For now I'm browsing the RollerGirl.ca website oogling skates, learning more about the sport, and daydreaming about when the Lakeland Ladykillers start fresh meat tryouts.

Drool.


3 comments:

  1. i really want to do rollerderby too!! you've definitely inspired me to get to searching for skates again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who had a year of funemployment, I highly recommend it. Especially with your sweet little girl on her way.

    Yay for derby! I really wish I didn't have fucked up knees and spine, cause I'd be all over that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annabelle is a precious name :)
    Im sure you're going to make a kick ass roller derby playing mom.
    love,
    becky xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Let me know if you'd like to swap buttons :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...